What is visualization? Why is it important? Who are we? Course overview.
Perception, Cognition, ColorThursday
- VAD, Chapters 10.2-10.3, Color Theory and Colormaps
Version Control; HTML and SVG.Tuesday
Introduction to git. HTML, CSS and the DOM. Selectors, etc.
- D3 Book, Chapters 1-3
- VDA Book, Chapter 1
Class canceled due to Wind.
DOM Manipulation, D3Thursday
Manipulating the DOM with the standard API, D3 Selections, Data Binding, Scales, Axes
- D3 book, Chapters 4, 5 and 6
Data Abstraction, Data Types.Tuesday
- VAD, Chapter 2, Data Abstraction
- On the Theory of Scales of Measurement. S. S. Stevens. Science, 103(2684), pp. 677-680, June 1946.
The Visualization Alphabet: Marks and Channels.Thursday
- Crowdsourcing graphical perception: using mechanical turk to assess visualization design. Jeff Heer, Mike Bostock. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2010.
- VAD, Chapter 5, Marks and Channels
- VAD, Chapter 10.4, Mapping Other Channels
- Graphical Perception: Theory, Experimentation and the Application to the Development of Graphical Models. William S. Cleveland, Robert McGill, J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 79:387, pp. 531-554, 1984.
- The Structure of the Information Visualization Design Space. Stuart Card and Jock Mackinlay. Proceedings of InfoVis, 1997.
- How to pick more beautiful colors for your data visualizations, Lisa Charlotte Rost
GeoJSON, TopoJSON, Choropleth Maps, Proportional Symbol Maps, Google Maps
- D3 book, Chapters 11 and 12
- The good, the bad, and the biased: five ways visualizations can mislead (and how to fix them). Danielle Albers Szafir. Interactions. 2018.
- VAD, Chapters 6.3-6.6, and 6.9, Rules of Thumb
- VAD, Chapter 6.10, Function First, Form Next
- VAD, Chapter 3, Why: Task Abstraction
Pie charts, tree maps, node-link diagrams, matrices, etc.
- Interactive dynamics for visual analysis, Heer, J., & Shneiderman, B. Communications of the ACM 55(4), 2012.
- VAD, Chapter 11, Manipulate View
- VAD, Chapter 6.8, Responsiveness Is Required
Advanced JS and D3Tuesday
JS in depth: promises and writing async code. Spread operator.
D3 in depth: brushes, how to structure multiple view visualizations.
Views; Focus and ContextThursday
- VDA Chapter 12, Facet into Multiple Views
- VDA Chapter 14, Embed: Focus + Context
Visualizing Tabular Data (Two Parts)Tuesday
- VDA Chapter 7, Tables
Storytelling with Visualization
Virtual VIS Conference, hosted by Utah Team. Register and attend at least two sessions!
Project Peer Feedback in GroupsTuesday
Visualizing Networks and Trees
- VDA Chapter 9, Arrange Networks and Trees
- S. Kieffer, T. Dwyer, K. Marriott, and M. Wybrow, “HOLA: Human-like Orthogonal Network Layout,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 349–358, Jan. 2016.
Project Feedback with Instructors
You will schedule a 20-minute time-slot with one of the instructors to receive feedback on your project.
Visualizing Multivariate NetworksThursday
Tasks Analysis, Designing and Evaluating VisualizationsTuesday
- A nested model for visualization design and validation. Tamara Munzner. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 15(6), 2009.
- VAD, Chapter 4, Analysis: Four Levels for Validation
- S. Carpendale, “Evaluating Information Visualizations,” in Information Visualization: Human-Centered Issues and Perspectives, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008, pp. 19–45.
- H. Lam, E. Bertini, P. Isenberg, C. Plaisant, and S. Carpendale, “Empirical Studies in Information Visualization: Seven Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1520–1536, 2012.
- Design Activity Framework for Visualization Design (Section 4-4.3). Sean McKenna, Dominika Mazur, James Agutter, Miriah Meyer. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (InfoVis ’14), 20(12), pp. 2191-2200, 2014.
- Parallel Prototyping Leads to Better Design Results, More Divergence, and Increased Self-Efficacy. Dow, Steven P., et al. Design Thinking Research. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. 127-153.
- Sketching Designs Using the Five Design-Sheet Methodology. Roberts, Jonathan C., Chris Headleand, and Panagiotis D. Ritsos. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22.1 (2016): 419-428.
- VizItCards: A Card-Based Toolkit for Infovis Design Education. He, Shiqing, and Eytan Adar. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (2016).
Thursday: Thanksgiving Break
Filtering & Aggregation
- VDA Ch. 13 Reduce Items and Attributes
- A. Lex and N. Gehlenborg, “Points of view: Sets and intersections,” Nat Meth, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 779–779, Aug. 2014.
- B. Alsallakh, L. Micallef, W. Aigner, H. Hauser, S. Miksch, and P. Rodgers, “The State-of-the-Art of Set Visualization,” in Computer Graphics Forum, 2016, vol. 35, pp. 234–260.
- A. Lex, N. Gehlenborg, H. Strobelt, R. Vuillemot, and H. Pfister, “UpSet: Visualization of Intersecting Sets,” IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (InfoVis ’14), vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 1983–1992, 2014.
Best Project Presentations, Wrap-UpTuesday