Lecture 1: IntroductionTuesday, August 22, 2017
What is visualization? Why is it important? Who are we? Course overview.
Lecture 2: Perception, Cognition, ColorThursday, August 24, 2017
Lecture 3: Version Control; HTML and SVG.Tuesday, August 29, 2017
Introduction to git. HTML, CSS and the DOM. Selectors, etc.
- D3 Book, Chapters 1-3
- VDA Book, Chapter 1
Lecture 4: Data Abstraction, Data Types.Thursday, August 31, 2017
- VAD, Chapter 2, Data Abstraction
- On the Theory of Scales of Measurement. S. S. Stevens. Science, 103(2684), pp. 677-680, June 1946.
Lecture 6: The Visualization Alphabet: Marks and Channels.Thursday, September 7, 2017
- Crowdsourcing graphical perception: using mechanical turk to assess visualization design. Jeff Heer, Mike Bostock. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2010.
- VAD, Chapter 5, Marks and Channels
- VAD, Chapter 10.4, Mapping Other Channels
- Graphical Perception: Theory, Experimentation and the Application to the Development of Graphical Models. William S. Cleveland, Robert McGill, J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 79:387, pp. 531-554, 1984.
- The Structure of the Information Visualization Design Space. Stuart Card and Jock Mackinlay. Proceedings of InfoVis, 1997.
Lecture 7: DOM Manipulation, D3Tuesday, September 12, 2017
Manipulating the DOM with the standard API, D3 Selections, Data Binding, Scales, Axes
Lecture 8: Design Guidelines, TasksThursday, September 14, 2017
- VAD, Chapters 6.3-6.6, and 6.9, Rules of Thumb
- VAD, Chapter 6.10, Function First, Form Next
- VAD, Chapter 3, Why: Task Abstraction
- Design Principles for Visual Communication. Maneesh Agrawala, Wilmot Li, Floraine Berthouzoz. Communications of the ACM, 54(4), pp. 60-69, Apr 2011.
- Design of data figures. Bang Wong. Nature Methods 7, pp. 665, Sept 2010.
- Low-Level Components of Analytic Activity in Information Visualization. Robert Amar, James Eagan, and John Stasko. Proceedings of InfoVis, 2005.
- A Multi-Level Typology of Abstract Visualization Tasks. Matthew Brehmer and Tamara Munzner. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), 19(12), p. 2376–2385, 2013.
- A Design Space of Visualization Tasks. Hans-Jorg Schulz, Thomas Nocke, Magnus Heitzler, and Heidrun Schumann. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), 19(12), p. 2376–2385, 2013.
Lecture 9: D3 MapsTuesday, September 19, 2017
GeoJSON, TopoJSON, Choropleth Maps, Proportional Symbol Maps, Google Maps
- D3 book, Chapters 11 and 12
Lecture 10: InteractionThursday, September 21, 2017
- Interactive dynamics for visual analysis, Heer, J., & Shneiderman, B. Communications of the ACM 55(4), 2012.
- VAD, Chapter 11, Manipulate View
- VAD, Chapter 6.8, Responsiveness Is Required
Lecture 11: D3 LayoutsTuesday, September 26, 2017
Pie charts, tree maps, node-link diagrams, matrices, etc.
Lecture 12: Designing Visualizations, TasksThursday, September 28, 2017
- A nested model for visualization design and validation. Tamara Munzner. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 15(6), 2009.
- VAD, Chapter 4, Analysis: Four Levels for Validation
- Design Activity Framework for Visualization Design (Section 4-4.3). Sean McKenna, Dominika Mazur, James Agutter, Miriah Meyer. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (InfoVis ’14), 20(12), pp. 2191-2200, 2014.
- Visual Thinking: For Design, Chapter 8
- The Functional Art: An Introduction to Information Graphics and Visualization, Chapter 2
- Parallel Prototyping Leads to Better Design Results, More Divergence, and Increased Self-Efficacy. Dow, Steven P., et al. Design Thinking Research. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012. 127-153.
- Sketching Designs Using the Five Design-Sheet Methodology. Roberts, Jonathan C., Chris Headleand, and Panagiotis D. Ritsos. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22.1 (2016): 419-428.
- VizItCards: A Card-Based Toolkit for Infovis Design Education. He, Shiqing, and Eytan Adar. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (2016).
- Creative User-Centered Visualization Design for Energy Analysts and Modelers. Goodwin, Sarah, et al. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 19.12 (2013): 2516-2525.
Tuesday: Class cancelled, staff is traveling.
Lecture 13: Visualizing Tabular DataTuesday, October 17, 2017
- VDA Chapter 7, Tables
Lecture 14: Filtering & AggregationThursday, October 19, 2017
- VDA Ch. 13 Reduce Items and Attributes
Modules, Promises, Packaging
Lecture 16: Views; Focus and ContextThursday, October 26, 2017
- VDA Chapter 12, Facet into Multiple Views
- VDA Chapter 14, Embed: Focus + Context
Lecture 17: Project Peer Feedback in GroupsTuesday, October 31, 2017
Lecture 18: Molecular Visualization & AnimationThursday, November 2, 2017
Guest lecturer: Janet Iwasa
Lecture 19: Visualizing Graphs and Trees (Two parts)Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Lecture 20: Visualizing Graphs and Trees (Two parts)Thursday, November 9, 2017
Project Feedback with InstructorsMo, Nov. 14 - Fr, Nov. 18, 2017
You will schedule a 20-minute time-slot with one of the instructors to receive feedback on your project.
Lecture 21: MapsTuesday, November 14, 2017
Lecture 22: Visualizing Sets and TextThursday, November 16, 2017
Lecture 23: Validating and Evaluating Visualization TechniquesTuesday, November 21, 2017
Thursday: Thanksgiving Break
Lecture 24: Topic to be announced.Tuesday, November 28, 2017
Lecture 25: Topic to be announced.Thursday, November 30, 2017
Lecture 26: Best Project Presentations, Wrap-UpTuesday, December 5, 2017